Our Track Record:
There are real maternal health disparities in this country, particularly for Black women, who are three times more likely to die from a pregnancy-related cause than white women despite socioeconomic status, insurance status, and geographic location. The Network believes that the best way to close this gap is to wholeheartedly support the grassroots organizations already working on the ground to help pregnant and post-partum people. We’re building upon the work we’ve done for several decades through our Raising Women’s Voices program (RWV), which provided thousands of dollars in funding and hundreds of hours of technical assistance to maternal health groups across the nation.
The Network will continue to support organizations working with pregnant and post-partum people on the ground. We’ve taken the lessons learned from RWV and applied them to an exciting and expanded mini-grant program, which we’ll unveil in the coming months. We’ll also be working hard on Capitol Hill to advance the following policy priorities:
- Extending Medicaid coverage for all post-partum people across the country from 60 days to one year. Of note, Medicaid covers 42% of births every year.
- Securing robust, comprehensive paid family and medical leave for all, because every person should be there for their families in the moments that matter most.
- Joint Letter on Permanent 12-Month Postpartum Care - The NWHN signed on to a letter to the federal legislature urging lawmakers to include language establishing permanent, nationwide 12-month postpartum Medicaid coverage in a year-end legislative package.
- Investing in Breastfeeding Will Advance Health Equity (Op-Ed)
- Tracking the Progress of the Black Maternal Health Momnibus (An NWHN-endorsed bill package)
- An Overview of the Access to Donor Milk Act (An NWHN-endorsed bill)
Change Lives (Including Yours). Get Involved
By deepening your relationship with the Network, you can:
- Improve Maternal Health and equity across the nation
- Build your skills in communications, development, management, health policy & advocacy, community organizing, and more
- Expand your professional circle with prospective mentors, employers, and subject matter experts
- Connect with an audience millions strong that wants to learn about brands that share their values
- Become an NWHN member. With your annual donation of just $15, you’ll receive:
- A 12 month membership to the NWHN
- Subscription to our exclusive quarterly newsletter
- Member mobilization updates and advocacy opportunities
- Invitations to annual events
- Sponsor a policy pillar. Are you particularly passionate about improving access and equity for Maternal Health? Contact our Interim Development Director Rachel Branaman at email@example.com to learn how you can help us make an impact and access our audience of:
- 21K email subscribers
- 17K social media followers
- 2 million website visitors
- Apply to be a guest on our podcast. Your Health Unlocked empowers you to make better health care decisions by elevating reliable information and stories about today’s most pressing health topics. Pitch us an episode by filling out this short E-form today.
- Volunteer with us. We are always looking for passionate and motivated volunteers who want to hone their skills in communications, development, management, health policy & advocacy, community organizing, and more. Fill out this short volunteer interest form, and a member of our team will be in touch with next steps.