Women’s Health FAQs

Getting Pregnant After 35

Publication Date: August 04, 2017

By: Ali Tweedt

Updated 12/12/23 by Rachel Grimsley, RN, BSN, MSN


I’ve heard that it’s more dangerous for women to give birth after age 35, but I’ve also heard that the dangers might have been exaggerated. What’s the truth? I’m 38. Are there things I should be worried about?


If you’re over 35 and looking to get pregnant, you’re not alone. It’s becoming more and more common for women to delay pregnancy until their mid to late 30s.

While many women can deliver healthy babies over the age of 35, it’s important to be aware of some of the risks associated with having a child later in life. A variety of factors, including age, general health, or preexisting conditions, may be responsible for increased health risks when trying to conceive at a later age. Older mothers have a greater chance of developing health problems before conception, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. However, these health problems can usually be managed with the assistance of your doctor to prevent complications during pregnancy.

Women who give birth after 35 may be at risk for:


If you are 35 or older and have certain risk factors for preeclampsia, your ob-gyn may recommend that you take low-dose aspirin during pregnancy. Talk with your ob-gyn about risk factors for preeclampsia and whether you should take aspirin.


The rate of C-sections is significantly higher among older women. Like any other surgery, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks of having a C-section and what you should expect during recovery.

Premature Birth

Women who become pregnant after age 35 have an increased chance of giving birth prematurely. The increase in premature births has been linked to greater use of C-sections in older women, as well as placental problems more likely to develop with age.

Multiple Pregnancies

Your likelihood of having twins or a multiple pregnancy increases with age and can cause serious health problems such as, preterm birth, preeclampsia, fetal growth problems, and gestational diabetes.


Both miscarriage and stillbirth are much more common in older mothers. At age 35, there is a 20% chance of miscarrying. By age 45, that chance increases to 80%. Health conditions more common in older women, such as uterine fibroids, atherosclerosis, and diabetes, may be contributing factors to the disruption of the progress of a woman’s pregnancy.

Many women in their late 30s can have healthy pregnancies and deliver their babies without complications. The best way to ensure an uncomplicated pregnancy, a safe delivery, and a healthy baby at any age is to take good care of yourself and seek out proper and comprehensive prenatal care.

The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only.

The continued availability of external resources is outside of the NWHN’s control. If the link you are looking for is broken, contact us at [email protected] to request more current citation information.

Get Involved

New ways to empower health care consumers across the nation.