As science, nutrition, and health knowledge advances, Americans are living longer and longer. In fact, roughtly 56 million people, or 17% of the U.S. population are over the age of 65 according to the U.S. census. Learn how to maximize your quality of life as you age with our tips below.
- Action Alert! September is Healthy Aging Month – Kicked off with a letter-writing campaign by the US postal service in the 1990s, Healthy Aging Month is celebrated every September. Learn how to observe Healthy Aging Month here.
- Practical Health Resources for Older Adults – Staying healthy and financially secure as you age can be a challenge. Get the information and tools you need to maintain your health, manage your money, and improve your life from the National Council on Aging (NCOA).
- Practical Resources for the Caregivers of Older Adults – Learn about the latest scams targeting older adults, how to help them with their aging goals, which health issues to look out for, and more in this NCOA resource.
- Hear From Seniors About Their Health Concerns – AARP conducts an annual survey on the health concerns of older adults. Learn what they are concerned about here.
- 11 Stories From Seniors That Will Inspire You – Read some of the best stories from a campaign launched to fight social isolation in seniors.
Ovarian Cancer Awareness
By the end of 2023, the American Cancer Society estimates that 20,000 women will receive a new diagnosis of ovarian cancer, and about 13,000 women will die from ovarian cancer. Get the facts on this aggressive and often deadly cancer.
- Action Alert! September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month – Learn how you can observe, spread awareness, and promote life-saving ovarian cancer research here.
- Ovarian Cancer 101 – Get up-to-date information on the signs, symptoms, causes, risk factors, and treatment for ovarian cancer from the American Cancer Society.
- Ovarian Cancer Key Statistics – Who is most at risk for ovarian cancer? What is the likelihood of getting ovarian cancer in your lifetime as of 2023? Get these answers and more.
- Patient Resources for Diagnosis and Treatment of Ovarian Cancer – The Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance (OCRA) has the answers you need about managing side effects, getting the best care, new diagnoses, active clinical trials, and more.
- Patient Resources on Living with Ovarian Cancer – OCRA has resources on practical/money matters, how to talk about cancer, finding support, and more.
- Get Real-Time Support from the Ovarian Cancer Patient Information Line – Reach out to be connected with a member of OCRA’s patient support team here.
- Ovarian Cancer Survivor Stories - Explore stories of ovarian cancer survivors as they get real, sharing their experience with navigating ovarian cancer, along with tips and resources that helped them during their most challenging moments.
National Sexual Health Awareness
When it comes to sexual health, the U.S. has room for improvement. As we’ve stated before, only 17 states require that sexual education taught in schools be medically accurate. Furthermore, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), are at an all time high in the U.S. Read on for tips on staying on top of your sexual health.
- Action Alert! September is National Sexual Health Awareness Month – National Sexual Health Awareness Month is celebrated each September and is a good time to assess our sexual health and bridge any gaps in our knowledge. Learn how to observe here.
- Sexual Health FAQs for Women – Get answers about increasing arousal, sexual health treatments, sexual pain, and more from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- STI Fact Sheets in English and Spanish – The American Sexual Health Association has prepared STI fact sheets from A – Z to help patients navigate their sexual health. Access them here.
- What Does Youth Sexual Health Look Like in the U.S.? – Find out from the results of the CDC’s youth risk behavior survey here. Middle schoolers and high schoolers were surveyed across the country in the largest dataset of its kind.
- What Does It Mean to Be a Sexually Healthy Adult? - Learn about the emotional, psychological, physical, and intellectual “green flags” when it comes to your sexual health.
- 6 Women Over 60 Get Real About Sex – Sex doesn’t just stop happening when we age. Learn from the generation that actually started the sexual revolution.
- Breastfeeding Stories – Get first-hand accounts from parents who have been there.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Awareness
According to the Office on Women’s Health, Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem that affects 1 in 10 women of childbearing age. Women with PCOS have a hormonal imbalance and metabolism problems that may affect their overall health and appearance. PCOS is also a common and treatable cause of infertility. Get the facts below.
- Action Alert! September is PCOS Awareness Month – Learn how to observe here.
- PCOS 101 and Frequently Asked Questions – Who gets PCOS? What are the symptoms and causes of PCOS, and what are the treatment options? Get all these answers and more here.
- Free PCOS Support and Resources – PCOS forums, groups, blogs, videos, recipes, and more from the PCOS Challenge Support Network.
- More Practical Resources for PCOS – Including live chat, tests, and symptom management.
- PCOS Personal Stories – 16 women share their experiences with PCOS.