Navigating the world of reproductive health care can be like wandering through a labyrinth without a map. The twists and turns of legal jargon and state-by-state legislation can leave many feeling lost and overwhelmed. What if there was a way to simplify this journey? Imagine having a seasoned guide who could provide clarity on your rights, access to care, and the nuances of navigating health care systems. This is where our latest podcast episode with legal expert Stephanie Kraft-Sheley comes in – offering a beacon of hope in a maze of confusion.
In this episode, you will learn:
- The stark differences in reproductive health laws between states, and how this impacts everything from childbirth to abortion access.
- Strategies for overcoming barriers to accessing over-the-counter reproductive health products and the role of technology in facilitating discreet support.
- The implications of recent abortion bans on minors and the importance of having legally accurate information in such scenarios.
- The significance of understanding and advocating for your rights during pregnancy and childbirth, especially in hospital settings.
More about Stephanie:
Stephanie Kraft Sheley, JD, MHA (she/her) is a lawyer and advocate focused on finding creative, all options solutions for reproductive health care access. She is founder and director of Right By You, a Missouri-based organization that helps people access reproductive health care and provides free emergency contraception. She operates a private law practice focused on legal issues in pregnancy and birth, consults nationally on reproductive projects, and serves as treasurer of the Birth Rights Bar Association. Her original comic appears in Comics for Choice: Illustrated Abortion Stories, History and Politics (2018) showcasing her commitment to education and advocacy in creative and accessible ways. With a master's level training in health care administration and personal experience as a parent, Stephanie brings a unique perspective to the table.
Resources for Episode 037:
- If you live in Missouri or Illinois and want information on pregnancy, birth, abortion, or adoption, explore Right By You. Right By You is a nonprofit started by lawyer and advocate Stephanie Kraft Sheley to access resources and an anonymous text line that can share accurate information to you in a personalized text conversation.
- If you’d like to view Steph’s comic book, you can find it here: Comics for Choice: Illustrated Abortion Stories, History and Politics by Hazel Newlevant | Goodreads
- If you live in Missouri and need free, discrete emergency contraception, visit RightByYou to access kits in discreet locations, anonymously.
- Visit the Missouri Abortion Fund to learn more about financial support for abortion in Missouri.
- If you’re pregnant and need legal help, access the Repro Legal Helpline.
- Follow Right By You on:
Some Terms and Linked Definitions:
- Birth Monopoly
- Birth Rights Bar Association
- Charley, The Abortion Chatbot
- Doula - a person, one typically without formal obstetric training, who is employed to provide guidance and support to a pregnant woman during labor
- Dobb – Referencing the overturning of Roe v. Wade in Dobbs v. Jackson
- Jane’s Due Process
- Judicial Bypass
- Lawyer Doula – A lawyer who can be present at the hospital to enforce body autonomy and boundaries.
- Obstetric Violence
- Obstetric Violence Map
- Pregnancy Loss Advocate - A person or organization to help heal from abortion (planned or spontaneous)
- Reproductive Justice
- Subjugation - the action of bringing someone or something under domination or control
- Text Line Service
- Trigger Laws
The primary purpose of this podcast is to educate and entertain. All views expressed by the persons featured on the Your Health Unlocked podcast are their own and do not reflect the opinions of the NWHN or its affiliates. Information provided in this podcast does not constitute medical advice. Consult your own provider for any medical issues that you may be experiencing.